What Does a 70/30 Custody Schedule Look Like?
Co-parenting after a divorce involves trial and error, making it feel like
a never-ending work in progress because your child’s needs will
change as they get older. With this in mind, know that your custody and
visitation schedule will not be a one-size-fits-all and may require modifications
over time. Importantly, you must keep your child’s best interests
at the forefront of all custody and visitation-related decisions. This
is because their wellbeing and development heavily depend on favorable
parenting schedules. So, as you can imagine, a bad parenting schedule
could negatively impact your child.
No two families are exactly alike, but many co-parents opt for a 70/30
custody schedule because it works for their child and accommodates their
personal lives altogether. In these arrangements, one parent has the child
for 70% of the time and the other parent has the child for 30% of the
time. This translates to approximately 2 out of 7 nights with one parent.
Co-parents often use 70/30 schedules when:
- The child needs a consistent home base
- The parents live far apart
- One parent has a busy work schedule or travels a lot
- A 50/50 or 60/40 schedule doesn’t work for the parents and/or child(ren)
- A 70/30 schedule is ultimately best for the child
Types of 70/30 Child Custody Schedules
Depending on your schedule and your child’s schedule, you may consider
various types of 70/30 custody plans. Remember, though, that consistency
is key for your child’s development and wellbeing. As such, try
to stick with one type of 70/30 schedule as much as you can to better
avoid disrupting your child’s growth.
Common examples of 70/30 schedules for co-parents include:
Every weekend schedule: Child lives with one parent during the week and one parent on the weekends
5-2 schedule: Child lives with one parent for 5 days and the other parent for 2 days
Every 3rd week schedule: Child lives with one parent for 2 weekends and the other parent for 1 week
Every 3rd day schedule: Child lives with one parent for 2 days and the other parent for 1 day
Family Comes First
Custody and visitation schedules can be a sensitive matter, especially
when both parents cannot reach an agreement. Although it can be complicated
to balance the needs and best interests of you and your child, it doesn’t
have to be. With the help of our Fort Worth attorney, you can get the
legal counsel needed to make sound and effective decisions for your family.
Contact us at (817) 429-2000 to learn more!